The “Strengthening the Institutional Aspect of the Local Government to Integrate Climate Change Adaptation into the Local Development Plan” program with the program location in Gorontalo District.
The Center for Public Policy Transformation (Transformasi), established in 2013, is intended to promote a better development policy making process in Indonesia in the context of decentralization by increasing the capacity of policy makers, both at the national and local levels. To achieve this goal, Transformasi has a mission to (i) promote knowledge, evidence, and best practices as the basis of policy making process, and to (ii) improve coordination and communication between policy makers and with other stakeholders in the decision making process.
Tranformasi cooperates with think tank groups in conducting studies and policy analyses, developing case studies, facilitating policy forums, and identifying best recommendation for policy makers.
During the period of 2014 -2016, Transformasi has cooperated with the Coordinating Ministry for the Economic Sector of the Republic of Indonesia, the Ministry of Marine Affairs and Fisheries, the National Planning and Development Agency (Bappenas), and several mayors and district heads in Indonesia. Currently, Transformasi’s program and activities are supported by Rajawali Foundation, Packard Foundation and Indonesia Climate Change Trust Fund (ICCTF).
About the Program
According to the study from Asian Development Bank (ADB) on 2014, Indonesia is one of the countries that is vulnerable to the impact of climate change and has the potential of suffering from 6-7 percent GPD loss per year. In response to this challenge, Law No. 32/2009 on Environmental Protection and Management mandates that there needs to be a policy direction on controlling the impact of climate change. In the context of local autonomy implementation, Law No. 23/2014 on Local Government also explains that government affair on the environment is one of the mandatory government affairs. Such government’s environmental affair has 7 (seven) sub areas, where the division of role/duties between the national government, provincial government, and district/city government is included within each area.
One of the challenges in controlling the impact of climate change is the lack of commitment and support from stakeholders, including policy makers. DNPI also underlines that in addition to the external aspects, namely the support capacity of the ecosystem and environment, there needs to be internal support as well, which are the readiness of regulatory and institutional aspects, budgeting, and human resource in the action plan for climate change adaptation. Therefore, strengthening the capacity of local units becomes crucial.
With the support from Bappenas through Indonesian Climate Change Trust Fund (ICCTF), Transformasi will implement the program of “Strengthening the Institutional Aspect of the Local Government to Integrate Climate Change Adaptation into the Local Development Plan”, located in Gorontalo District.
This project aims to:
- Create understanding within the Gorontalo District Government, including the District Head, Local Parliament, and Provincial Representatives, and specifically local government key/strategic economic institutions, such as Bappeda, which implements the coordination function in planning in the agriculture, infrastructure, fisheries, and health sectors (and others in line with the local development structure) on the impact of climate change (activity focus area is adjusted with the “Vulnerability Assessment” focus area that has been and will be done) in targeted areas, including elements of community dan business world.
- Increase the capacity of targeted local government in developing climate change adaptation strategy and integrate it into the local development plan (short term and medium term), facilitated by Bappeda, involving relevant institutions/elements, civil society elements such as NGOs, university academics and private sector and vulnerable people, both men and women.
The expected results of this program are:
- Updated vulnerability analysis and risk of Gorontalo Distict and analysis of the capacity of targeted local government
- The establishment of climate change adaptation working group in target areas by involving stakeholders and supported by local leaders
- Climate change adaptation strategy that is integrated into the local development plan
Gorontalo District is selected as the program location by considering its existing vulnerability study modality (Gorontalo Province), high vulnerability level, and lack of mentoring for the government and community in this area related to climate change adaptation.
To understand a more specific and detailed vulnerability and risk at the Gorontalo District level, existing studies need to be updated. As an initial effort, Transformasi conducts literature study by compiling data and studies that were previously done related to Gorontalo District. The result of this initial analysis reveals that the agricultural sector is very vulnerable to drought, despite having a very dominant role in the economic aspect of the District.
Surely this initial information needs to be elaborated further with scientific data source and the experience of vulnerable people, turning it into a more detailed and valid information as a basis for analysis. For that, Transformasi engages climate change adaptation observers and practicioners to obtain inputs and technical support. As an initial step, Transformasi conducts an audience to the Head of Bappeda and relevant SKPD to explain about the program that will be implemented, and collect information on the impact and policy that has been taken by Gorontalo District Government related to climate change.